Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Oh My - There is an American Kestrel in my Chimney!



The other day we heard something fluttering around in the chimney and discovered there was a bird trapped at the bottom of the clay pipe! I slowly opened the door and the bird scooted backwards, putting her guard up.  I looked at her and talked to her softly, assuring that I meant no harm. She calmed down a little bit, until someone handed me some gloves so I could pick her up. She was so sweet and calm when I picked her up!  I probably didn't even need  the gloves.


This bird was gorgeous! We didn't know what kind of bird it was at first, and had to do some research to identify this beauty as a "Sparrow Hawk" or American Kestrel, a very small falcon. I took her to the slider for release. She sat in my hand for a few seconds before fluttering off. 

We had to go to the store soon after, and as we were driving down the road -- there she was perched on the telephone pole in our yard. On the way back we spotted her again in the road eating her freshly caught dinner. I bet she was hungry after being stuck in the chimney for so long.

The pictures below don't do her justice -- but I figured I'd post them anyways. From what this website says, "Kestrels are declining in parts of their range; you can help them by putting up nest boxes". Maybe that's why this one was attempting to roost in our chimney!







I grabbed this picture from a google image search the other day, and forgot to grab the link to the photographer's site. Woops! Sorry photographer! If I find your image again, I'll be sure to post a link. This is a beauteous male.




1 comments:

mmbear on October 18, 2011 at 7:37 PM said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I came by and followed your blog thru GFC, Facebook and RSS Reader. I hope you were able to enter either of my contests. I will have several more up in the next couple of weeks. Again, thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

Post a Comment

Say Hi! :)